Living in coolness in the summer can be taken for granted, particularly until you encounter a taste of anxiety with an air conditioner failure. It can happen at the worst moments; you’re eating lunch and abruptly feel how warm your kitchen feels or you can’t fall asleep at night because you are so toasty wrapped in your covers. Think you’re feeling this uncomfortable feeling? It might be an occasion for an air conditioner replacement.
Often times, it isn’t the thermostat’s fault; the settings can be working correctly, but it still states that the temperature is over 80 degrees. It’s usually caused by an ancient or faulty air conditioner that requires a call to the pros to find out what’s wrong. There are many reasons why air conditioners fail, especially considering the weather in Norco and St. Charles Parish. Here are a few things that you can look for before you call Mayeuxs AC & Heating if you think your air conditioner has broken down:
- Broken outdoor fan motor: There is a fan motor on your outdoor air conditioning system that helps flow the heat from your home to the outdoors. If you examine your system and discover that the fan isn’t running, it means that the heat movement isn’t happening, causing the warm air to stay in your home. This malfunction can also trigger overheating of the compressor and other possible internal harm to your system.
- Dirty filters: It’s one of the most familiar troubles that Mayeuxs AC & Heating sees. These dirty filters in your air conditioner lower proper airflow, affecting the air quality in your home, which is really difficult when allergy season hits. Unclean air filters can also lower the efficiency in your home and increase your monthly energy costs.
- Blocked air flow: Always search for an obstruction or blockage in your return-air or supply-air grille. This can initiate your air conditioner to lose efficiency and decelerate.
TIP: Make sure the grilles aren’t covered by furniture or other home items, as well.
- Outside obstructions: Correct air flow could be also hindered from outdoor blockages close to your system, such as shrubbery, trees, lawn chairs, etc. When the air flow is hindered, it can influence it’s cooling abilities. Make sure that your system is unrestricted by obstacles and is cleaned frequently to reduce the chance of air conditioner replacement.
Once you’ve completed these four system checks and your air conditioner still isn’t running, here are a list of questions and steps that you should look into and answer to get your system up and functioning again. (Only progress to the next question if the system doesn’t start after doing the step before it):
- Is your thermostat temperature set below the indoor temperature?
- Is your system switch in the COOL position?
- Is the outdoor unit power supply switch ON?
- Is the furnace/air handler power supply ON?
- Is your house fuse box/breaker box intact or has it blown a fuse or tripped a circuit breaker?
- If none of these things alter your system function, call Mayeuxs AC & Heating at (985) 764-2426.
Don’t let an air conditioner malfunction or replacement keep you restless at night. If you follow these procedures and keep your system under regular maintenance, you should have you air conditioner running again in no time. Our team at Mayeuxs AC & Heating in Norco and St. Charles Parish is always here to help – give us a call at (985) 764-2426.