Keeping your Norco and St. Charles Parish home comfy can consume a good amount of money. A typical family spends about $172 on monthly utility costs, according to ENERGY STAR®, or approximately $2,060 annually. At least half of that is for heating and cooling.
Many residences use programmable thermostats, but the majority of people don’t take the time to use them properly. The process is time-consuming, detailed and only offers you a few options for temperature settings. When your home remains at an identical temp throughout the day, it requires utilities and negatively impacts your monthly bill.
Smart thermostats adjust to your routine and adapt the temperatures to accompany it. But can installing one really save you money on heating and cooling? Yes, and here’s why.
Studies Show Smart Thermostats Decrease on Heating and Cooling Expenses
Independent studies have found these devices can lead to major savings.
These studies involved home utility costs in 41 states before and after putting in a Nest smart thermostat. Nest said the study determined its thermostats can save up to 12% on heating and 15% on cooling, resulting in an approximated savings of $131 to $145 each year.
With the typical smart thermostat priced between $100–$250, those savings can help it pay for itself. And most local energy companies provide rebates for smart thermostats since they’re ENERGY STAR® certified.
How Does a Smart Thermostat Work?
After your smart thermostat is put in, you’ll at first use it just like any other thermostat. You’ll switch it up and down, so the thermostat can learn about your wants. Then, it will begin making a program that helps you spend less money, whether you’re at your house or gone. Because it geofences with your smartphone, you won’t have to think about adjusting it when you exit or get back.
Pros and Cons of Using a Smart Thermostat
As we talked about prior, smart thermostats provide a lot of advantages to your house and utility bill, like:
- No need to set—Your smart thermostat will adjust to your schedule, so you won’t be required to use up time using programs or remember to change.
- Knows when you get home and leave—As many smart thermostats geofence with your phone, your residence will be put into an energy-efficient setting when you go and be comfortable when you return.
- Remote temperature supervision—You’ll be able to see your house’s temperature from nearly anywhere, thanks to an app on your phone.
- Watch heating and cooling use—The majority of smart thermostats offer valuable data through their app, like how long you required heating and cooling on a particular day.
- Reminders—Some smart thermostats will alert you to important maintenance tasks, including when you’re due to put in a new air filter.
- Extra savings—Many local energy companies have rebates for smart thermostats, so call with yours for more info.
However, there’s several points you should consider when considering getting a smart thermostat in your house:
- Compatibility—Depending on the type and age of your heating and cooling system, a smart thermostat might not function with it. If you’re not sure, it’s best to check with an HVAC professional like Mayeuxs AC & Heating. We also suggest having it professionally installed. This guarantees that you have the proper number of wires and that it’s connected correctly. Some systems don’t include a common wire, which creates compatibility troubles with a smart thermostat. This wire energizes your thermostat, so if your residence doesn’t have a C-wire, we can install one.
- Housing situation—If you own your house and plan to live there for many years, it’s a smart investment to install a smart thermostat. If you’re thinking about moving soon or rent, we suggest holding back unless you will take the thermostat with you. If you rent, you’ll typically need to have your landlord’s permission first prior to installing a new thermostat.
- Cost—Smart thermostats are pricier than programmable thermostats, and we advise having yours professionally installed. However, the energy savings over the years can help pay for itself.
- Lifestyle—Does a family member work from home, or is someone often at the house? If so, you might not see as big of savings, but you’ll get the convenience of not being required to program or adjust a thermostat.
Depend on Mayeuxs AC & Heating for Your Smart Thermostat Needs
At Mayeuxs AC & Heating, our number one priority is to keep your home cozy while helping you conserve more utility expenses. If you’re wanting to install a smart thermostat, our specialists can help, from picking the right model to expert installation. Contact us at (985) 764-2426 today to learn more.