According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, air ducts should be cleaned about three to five years on average. Your home’s location, your pets and the length of time you’ve had your air filters—along with many other factors—can influence how long your ducts can go without cleaning. How can you tell if it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? We’ve got some indications that you should watch for.
Look for these clues:
1. When your vents are fully opened, do any have less airflow than others?
2. Can you hear a sound other than your blower motor when you focus on the airflow?
3. Is there blockage inside your cold air return vent?
4. When you look inside with a flashlight, do you see a buildup of debris or pet fur?
5. Have pests or rodents made a home in your ductwork?
6. Are your cold air returns coated with dust or pet hair?
7. Are your registers driving out dust?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s probably time to ask Mayeuxs AC & Heating in Norco and St. Charles Parish about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
While professional cleanings are important, there are actions you can take to keep your ducts cleaner and extend the time between professional cleanings.
Most importantly, schedule regular HVAC maintenance with the pros at Mayeuxs AC & Heating. A regular checkup of your furnace in the fall and air conditioning unit in the spring will keep your HVAC system operating at peak performance. Inspecting your system often and replacing the air filter when necessary will also help keep your ducts open.
More ways you can help care for your ducts:
• Seal air duct leaks that let debris in from places such as your attic.
• Check your air filters on a regular basis and change them when required.
• Regularly dust and vacuum your home.
• Replace air duct insulation if it is in unsatisfactory or damp condition.
Keeping your ducts clear will help you make sure the air in your Norco and St. Charles Parish home is clean. Don’t forget to use these preventative steps and schedule a professional duct cleaning now. Call the experts at Mayeuxs AC & Heating at (985) 764-2426 or arrange an appointment online.