As the temp increases, so does your energy bills. To keep your air conditioning expenses down you could be wondering, is it cheaper to leave your AC on all day in the summer in Norco and St. Charles Parish?
It’s a widespread belief that turning your air conditioner on and off throughout the day is wasteful. This is actually false.
Keeping your air conditioner going constantly means you’re not using it very efficiently. We advise setting your thermostat higher when you’re away, and turning it back down when you come back. You can do this with a programmable thermostat. Or, a smart thermostat is able to do everything for you.
It’s much more work for your system to achieve a consistent temperature for many hours. It can also result in a lot of strain on your equipment, since it’s frequently turning on and off.
So, on top of it increasing your utility bills, it could also result in a shorter life span for your HVAC system.
In any case, the greater the difference between your house’s temperature and the outside temperature, the more your air conditioning costs will be. So, what can you do to keep cool and keep your electric bills low in the hot weather? Here are our suggestions based off of recommendations from the U.S Department of Energy (DOE) and ENERGY STAR®.
6 Ways to Boost Your Air Conditioner’s Energy Efficiency
- Modify Your Thermostat. The DOE states that you can save up to 10% annually on heating and cooling by turning up your thermostat 7-10 degrees during the time you’re out. Through the summer, it’s suggested to set your thermostat at 78 degrees while you’re home and 88 degrees when you’re away. It’s equally as important to abstain from setting your thermostat to a cooler setting than usual when you turn on your AC. This doesn’t actually cool off your house any faster, it just results in bigger utility expenses. While these temperatures could seem warm, there are a number of ways to keep cooler without having to always run the air conditioning.
- Take Advantage of Fans, Curtains and Blinds. ENERGY STAR says turning up the thermostat by a mere 2 degrees and using your ceiling fan can lessen air conditioning costs by up to 14% throughout the warmer months. It’s important to be mindful that that fans cool people, not spaces. So, when you leave the room, turn the fan off to conserve energy. Furthermore, keeping blinds down and curtains closed throughout the day helps keep chilled air in. There are also some window treatments meant to deliver extra insulation and improve energy efficiency.
- Properly Seal All Doors, Windows and Openings. Leaky openings all around a home allow for cool air to rapidly slip out and warmer air to get within. This could lead to your AC equipment being required to work harder to keep your home cooler and your AC costs to increase. Check that any gaps, doors and windows are suitably sealed. Caulking or weather-stripping are simple fixes for leaks or drafts near windows and doors.
- Plan for Routine Maintenance. Scheduling air conditioner maintenance assures that your unit is always performing at its most energy efficient. This lets our professionals to spot small issues before they turn into serious dilemmas. A well-kept AC unit is generally more efficient and might even live for a longer period of time.
- Upgrade to a Smart Thermostat. One of the best approaches to assure comfort and energy savings is with a smart thermostat. This thermostat instinctively alters the temperature based on your regular schedule. It works along with your smartphone to notice when you’re at your house or out to enhance your energy savings. In fact, ENERGY STAR states that a smart thermostat could potentially save you about $180 yearly on energy costs.
- Consider Replacing Your Air Conditioner. You can figure a sufficiently cared for AC to last for 15-20 years. But if you’re regularly contacting us for air conditioning repair or your utility costs are climbing with no altering in thermostat settings, it could be time for an upgrade. We carry many energy-efficient air conditioners, like ENERGY STAR models that can help you save more on cooling without trading comfort.
Enhance Your Home’s Energy Efficiency with Mayeuxs AC & Heating
No one enjoys seeing their air conditioning bill climb during the summer season. If you’re seeking more ways to keep your energy consumption and costs low this summer, our team can help. Get in touch with us at (985) 764-2426 or contact us online now for additional details.