Before your annual furnace service appointment, take some time to check around your home for areas that may be responsible for escaped warm air. Leaky doors and windows and other areas sap your furnace’s efficiency. You could be letting money fly out the door, literally! Just identifying leaks could make a vast difference in your energy savings.
Repairing many cracks and leaks can be a simple DIY project that could help you save money year after year. After leaks are sealed, you’ll also get the most benefit from your annual furnace service. What could be better than improving energy efficiency and saving money, all while making your home more comfortable?
So where should you look for those pesky leaks?
A great deal of air can escape through your attic. Here are some specific areas to check:
- Stud cavities could be open or uninsulated, permitting air to easily leak out. You’ll wind up with a chillier home and a higher utility bill.
- Take into account your attic access doors when you replace or install weatherstripping around your home. Many people overlook them and they can let a considerable amount of heat escape.
Any openings into your house.
A lot of heat is lost through windows and doors.
- Inspect your weatherstripping. If it’s cracked or torn, it’s time to replace it.
- Inspect the caulking around all of your windows, checking both inside and outside. Simply use a caulking gun to fill any holes you notice.
- Cover any gaps around your chimney and flue (if you have a chimney) to prevent air from escaping.
There are so many ways to make sure you get the most out of your annual furnace service, but following this list will give you a big advantage. You’ll be more comfortable and your home will be more efficient. At Mayeuxs AC & Heating, we are here for you to answer your questions about these tips. And, if it’s time to set up a furnace service appointment, give us a call at (985) 764-2426.