Spring is in the air here in Norco and St. Charles Parish and that means vacation plans are on the horizon. While you’re figuring out what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what stays behind, your home. The Mayeuxs AC & Heating team has some recommendations that will work to keep your home protected and help save some money on your utility bills while you enjoy a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are a low cost way to make your home look as though someone is home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a good idea to program your lights to sync up with your typical schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a trusted friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater comfort than a text while you’re away letting you know that everything at home is as it should be.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to say not to share photos of your fabulous sabbatical on social media, but try to wait until after you return to post anything about your trip. Family and friends presumably already know you’re leaving so no sense letting potential criminals know your itinerary. Everyone will be just as delighted by the amazing things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it easier than ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical device is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. An easy way to cut back on energy while you’re away is to unplug a couple of your electronics. Something that you may not think of unplugging is your garage door. It will save you energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re not going to be home there’s no reason to keep your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your usual level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some simple tips to add to your spring break prep checklist, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about protecting your home this season or want to discuss additional energy saving tips, give Mayeuxs AC & Heating in Norco and St. Charles Parish a call at (985) 764-2426.