Summer weather in Norco and St. Charles Parish can be brutal. But you don’t have to make a choice between being comfortably cool and saving money on your utility expenses. We’ve assembled some tips to make it easy.
The top thing you can do to stay cool and maintain energy efficiency is by tending to your air conditioner. ENERGY STAR® recommends keeping your system running reliably and efficiently, and Mayeuxs AC & Heating is able to help. During an AC tune-up appointment, we’ll perform the following tasks suggested by ENERGY STAR and more:
- Tighten all electrical connections and measure voltage and current on motors to ensure safe operation of your system and the opportunity of a longer life for major components.
- Clean the air conditioner’s evaporator and condenser coils as needed. Dirty coils require your system to operate longer to do its job.
- Check system controls to ensure proper and safe operation.
- Look at refrigerant levels.
- Clean and adjust blower components to assure correct system airflow.
Another key to staying cool is regularly checking your air conditioner’s air filter. A dirty filter could boost energy costs and damage your equipment, which may lead to early failure. Our Mayeuxs AC & Heating experts will check these for you at your tune-up appointment, but you’ll want to follow the manufacturer’s recommendations to arrange your own schedule to change them out.
Here are a handul of other tips to keep your home comfortable and energy-efficient:
- Check thermostat settings to be sure your air conditioner keeps you comfortable when you are home and saves energy while you are not around.
- If it is cool at night, you can turn off your air conditioner and open your windows. Let the night air cool your place for you! In the morning, shut your windows and window coverings to hold on to the cool air and block the sun’s heat.
- Take advantage of fans. An ENERGY-STAR ceiling fan will allow you to set your thermostat a little higher than you normally would without feeling any changes in your comfort level.
- Another type of fan people routinely forget about when they’re trying to keep cool is their bathroom ventilation fan. Be sure to run yours when you shower as well as 20 minutes or longer after you’re done to get rid of the heat and humidity from your home.
- Work to not leave lights on and running many appliances on the hottest days. Obviously, your stovetop and oven add heat into your home, but even normal activities like watching TV, working on the computer, and drying or curling your hair can increase the heat in your home.
If you’d like additional ideas on how to keep your home cool and energy efficient this summer, give Mayeuxs AC & Heating at call at (985) 764-2426 or request an appointment with us online.