When you’re looking for methods to decrease utility bills, getting a smart thermostat is an intelligent idea. These devices pick up on your favorite temperatures and routine and then create an energy-efficient schedule to match. What’s even better is that you can change and keep an eye on your settings from just about anywhere with your phone, whether you’re relaxing in bed or out and about. (You might even be able to get a free smart thermostat depending on rebate programs from your utility company in Norco and St. Charles Parish.)
Most of the time, installing a smart home thermostat with the assistance of Mayeuxs AC & Heating is a simple job if you have a new house. But what if your house is older or doesn’t have the correct wiring? Can you still install a smart thermostat without C wire? We’ll help you navigate the process so you can select the ideal thermostat and get energy savings for a long time.
What Is a C Wire and What Does It Do on a Thermostat?
Many programmable thermostats use batteries. When you’re upgrading to a smart thermostat, you’ll find that many need a C wire, or common wire, for power. If you don’t have this wire, your new thermostat may cause your heating and cooling system to malfunction.
You can determine if you have a C wire by doing the following:
- Cut power to the thermostat at the breaker.
- Take off the thermostat and find the wiring.
- If there are five or six multicolored wires, you have what you need for a smart thermostat. You might be wondering what color is the C wire on a thermostat—and the answer to that is usually blue.
- If there are three or four thin multicolored wires, you’re close. Make sure the C wire isn’t tucked inside the wall. If you can’t find one, we may be able to add one for you or you may be able to use your new thermostat without one.
- If you have two thick wires, you may be able to install a smart thermostat with an adaptor just for high-voltage systems. Or you may be able to use a battery-powered smart thermostat, like the Lux Geo Wi-Fi Thermostat, if your wiring won’t work and you don’t want to put in new wiring.
Do Nest or ecobee Need a C Wire?
Two of the top brands are the Nest smart thermostat and ecobee smart thermostat. If you have two to four wires, these thermostats may be a match for your home.
Nest says its thermostats are created to need minimal power and can typically share it with your heating and cooling system. However, you may need to have a specialist like Mayeuxs AC & Heating install a C wire with the Nest Thermostat E or Nest Learning Thermostat if you’re running into power problems or a battery that’s frequently drained.
ecobee works with 24-volt systems (ones with three to six thermostat wires) and has a C wire adaptor. So, you’re covered if you don’t have a thermostat C wire.
Depend on Mayeuxs AC & Heating for Your Smart Thermostat Installation Needs
At Mayeuxs AC & Heating, we’re always on the lookout for methods to keep you comfier while keeping heating and cooling expenses reasonable. If you want to know more about upgrading to a smart thermostat without a C wire, contact us at (985) 764-2426. We can help you choose the right model for your home and even put in new wiring if necessary.